11. Doctor Who - Boom Town
After the rift was sealed in 1869 a scar was left behind. The scar is harmless to humans, but is great for use as a power source. The Doctor materialises the TARDIS on top of the rift, and uses the power to recharge the TARDIS. Whilst this is happening, the Doctor, Rose, Captain Jack and Mickey, who was asked by Rose to fetch her passport, decide to spend some time in Cardiff.
When 10 Downing Street was bombed one of the Slitheen, Margaret, managed to escape woth a teleport. She has now managed to become the mayor of Cardiff, and has plans to build a nuclear power station in the heart of Cardiff, on top of the rift. One member of the council has been looking at the plans, and thinks the power station may be unstable, and is dealt with by Margaret.
At the press conference to announce the plans, a journalist also seems to think that the power station may be unstable. Margaret gets out of her human 'costume', but is unable to kill the journalist when she starts talking about her family, and the child she is pregnant with. In an act of compassion she decides not to kill.
In a cafe in Cardiff the Doctor, Rose, Captain Jack and Mickey are having a good time, until the Doctor sees a picture of Margaret on the front of a newspaper. Together, they go to the town hall to confront her. Everyone splits up, and when the Doctor tries to get in to see Margaret she tries to escape through the window.
Margaret makes a run for it, and attempts to use her teleporter, which the Doctor manages to reverse using his sonic screwdriver. Realising there is no escape Margaret allows herself to be taken back to the TARDIS. The Doctor says he will take her back to the planet Raxacoricofallapatorius when the TARDIS has refuelled. Maraget tells him that they have the death penalty there, and that the Doctor will be taking her to her death. The Doctor says it his not his problem.
Margaret has a tribophysical waveform macro-kinetic extrapolator that would act as a form of shielded surf board. With sufficient energy she would be able to surf away. She had planned to build a nuclear reactor on top of the rift that would go into meltdown and destroy the planet, giving power to the extrapolator. The Doctor plugs the extraoplator into the TARDIS, which would cut the time needed to refuel.
Margaret persuades the Doctor to go to dinner with her. Over the meal Margaret, or rather Blon Fel Fotch Pasameer-Day Slitheen, says she has changed her ways, and asks the Doctor to take her to another world. The Doctor says no, stating that if he does she will be free to continue as she has been doing. He listens as she describes in detail the manner of death if she is taken back.
They are interupted when violent tremors rock the cafe, and blow out the windows. The Doctor and Blon rush back to the TARDIS where the extrapolator has gone mad. Blon explains that the device was programmed to latch on to any sufficient power supply, in this case the TARDIS, and feed off it.
As she is about to escape the TARDIS console opens up, and Blon stares into the heart of the TARDIS. The TARDIS knows what Blon really wants - a chance to start again - and regresses her into a Raxacoricofallapatorian egg.
- Rose Tyler: Billie Piper
- Captain Jack: John Barrowman
- Mr. Cleaver: William Thomas
- Margaret: Annette Badland
- Mickey: Noel Clarke
- Cathy: Mali Harries
- Idris Hopper: Aled Pedrick
- Slitheen: Alan Ruscoe
- Passengers/Passersby: Ben Cosgrove, Chris Rhys Williams, David Stokes, Dewi Llewellyn, Phil Williams, Phil Reston, Gary Fisher, Keith Fisher, Keith Watkins, Malcolm Kearny, Marc Jago, Matthew Davies, Mike Inch Richards, Paul Morgan, Robert Gareth Davies, Rob Turner, Roy Williams, Simon Weaver, Elenar Alsopp, Gemma Allerton, Grace Olealry, Christine Murray, Gill Callaghan, Gill Flower, Julie Sadler, Jeanne Rebane, Joanne Tucker, Julie Anne Brewer, Kim Angela Smith, Linda Margaret Ford, Lisa Manray, Maureen Lewis, Mary Cook, Melanie Fry, Nia Pendrell, Pamela Williams, Sandra Dowrick, Sharon Elizabeth Davies, Sheila Collins, Eluned Rose Lewis, Beryl Hearne, Iam Ball
- Double for Captain Jack: Paul Batttenburgh
- Dignitaries/Journalists/Waitresses: Hayley Morris, Joanna Palmer, Karen Robinson, Ian Coather, Charyl Benuon, Elizabeth Pettican
- Stunt double for Margaret: Tina Maskell
- Stunt double for Captain Jack: Tony Lucken
- Tea Lady: Lucy Allen
- Stunt double for Rose: Kim McGarrity
- Stunt secretary: Sarah Franzl
- Secretary: Kirsty-Ann Green
- Cleaner: Janice Pydderch Lloyd
- Passersby: Janice Pydderch Lloyd, Kirsty-Ann Green, Rachel Smith, Steve Roberts, Dafydd Reynolds, Sioned Richards, Julia Pittard, Debra Pittard, Andrew Morgan John, Dominic Flowers
- Stunt diners: Kim McGarrity, George Cottle
- Policemen/Paramedics: Phil Horton, Phil Smith, Jeff Jones, Kelvin Barker
- Policewoman: Kay-D Smith
Showings on the BBC
|BBC 1||11||Boom Town||Saturday, June 4, 2005||7:00 PM - 7:45 PM||7.7M|
- Bistro 10, Mermaid Quay, Cardiff Bay
- Cardiff Railway Station, Cardiff
- Glamorgan House, College Road, Cardiff
- Mermaid Quay, Cardiff Bay
- Unit Q2, Newport