S. The Time Meddler
The TARDIS materialises off the English coastline in the year 1066 A.D. The Doctor and his companions become worried when they find anachronistic objects such as a wrist watch and a tape recorder.
The Doctor discovers that one of his own people - the Monk - is planning to wipe out the forthcoming Viking fleet. He also plans to ensure King Harold wins the battle of Hastings by arming the King's army with atomic bazookas.
Steven and Vicki discover the Monk's TARDIS, and the Doctor manages to sabotage the TARDIS, shrinking the internal dimensions. Through cunning the Doctor manages to thwart the Monk's plan, and ensures that history proceeds as it is written.
The Doctor and his companions dematerialise leaving a furious monk stranded on Earth.
- Vicki: Maureen O'Brien
- Steven Taylor: Peter Purves
- The Monk: Peter Butterworth
- Edith: Alethea Charlton
- Eldred: Peter Russell
- Wulnoth: Michael Miller
- Saxon Hunter: Michael Guest (1)
- Ulf: Norman Hartley (2-4)
- Sven: David Anderson (2-4)
- Gunnar The Giant: Ronald Rich (2)
- Viking Leader: Geoffrey Cheshire (2)
- Viking: James Hamilton
- Saxons: Peter Brooks, Derek Chafer, Dougie Dean, John Evans, Ken McGarvie, Freddie Parsons, Donald Simons, Vic Taylor, Lyn Turner
- Stuntmen: Tim Condren, Fred Haggerty
|BBC 1||78. The Watcher||Saturday, July 3, 1965 6:55 PM - 7:20 PM||8.9M||57%|
|BBC 1||79. The Meddling Monk||Saturday, July 10, 1965 5:40 PM - 6:05 PM||8.8M||49%|
|BBC 1||80. A Battle Of Wits||Saturday, July 17, 1965 5:40 PM - 6:05 PM||7.7M||53%|
|BBC 1||81. Checkmate||Saturday, July 24, 1965 5:40 PM - 6:05 PM||8.3M||54%|
Repeat Broadcasts on the BBC
|BBC 2||The Watcher||Friday, January 3, 1992 7:20 PM - 7:45 PM||2.4M|
|BBC 2||The Meddling Monk||Friday, January 10, 1992 6:50 PM - 7:15 PM||2.8M|
|BBC 2||A Battle Of Wits||Friday, January 17, 1992 6:50 PM - 7:15 PM||2.6M|
|BBC 2||Checkmate||Friday, January 24, 1992 6:50 PM - 7:15 PM||2.6M|
- Ealing Television Film Studios
- Television Centre Studio 3
- Television Centre Studio 4
William Hartnell only appears in the reprise at the start of part two and with pre-recorded dialogue for the rest of the episode.
The story (and season) ends with no next episode caption and shots of the Doctor and his companions over a starfield pattern.