CC. The Smugglers
Season Four - 1966/1967
Much to the amazement of Ben and Polly the TARDIS is not in the same place as when they entered, but has in fact materialised in the 17th century on the Cornish coast.
The Doctor receives a strange message from the local church warden - a cryptic rhyme which tells of the location of treasure that a group of pirates are searching for. The Doctor is captured by the leader of the pirates, Captain Pike.
At the same time a group of people, the Squire included, have formed a smuggling ring and are planning to offload contraband. The local militia arrive, and in the fight many of Pike's men are killed.
The Doctor, Ben and Polly, who had previously been arrested for the murder of the church warden and are freed, go on their way.
- Ben Jackson: Michael Craze
- Polly Wright: Anneke Wills
- Cherub: George A. Cooper
- Squire Edwards: Paul Whitsun-Jones
- Captain Samuel Pike: Michael Godfrey
- Tom: Mike Lucas (1-3)
- Jacob Kewper: David Blake Kelly (1-3)
- Churchwarden (Joseph Longford): Terence de Marney (1)
- Spaniard: Derek Ware (1,4)
- Josiah Blake: John Ringham (2-3)
- Jamaica: Elroy Josephs (2-3)
- Gaptooth: Jack Bligh (4)
- Doubles for the Doctor: David Blake Kelly (3), Albert Ward (4)
Original broadcast on the BBC
|BBC 1||127. Episode 1||Saturday, September 10, 1966 5:50 PM - 6:15 PM||4.3M||47%|
|BBC 1||128. Episode 2||Saturday, September 17, 1966 5:55 PM - 6:20 PM||4.9M||46%|
|BBC 1||129. Episode 3||Saturday, September 24, 1966 5:50 PM - 6:15 PM||4.2M||43%|
|BBC 1||130. Episode 4||Saturday, October 1, 1966 5:50 PM - 6:15 PM||4.5M||43%|
- Riverside Studio 1
- Sennen, Breage Church, Church Cove, Ruan Minor Church, Helson, Porthcurno, all in Cornwall
Doctor Who and the Pirates
This story has no incidental music, not even stock.