6X. Doctor Who - The Mark Of The Rani
The TARDIS is en route to Kew Gardens, and Peri is dressed for the occasion. The TARDIS is drawn off course and arrives during the Luddite riots. Although the Luddite riots are used as a cover, the reason for the rioting locals is down to a Time Lady - the Rani. She has been extracting the chemical from the human brain that promotes sleep.
At the same time the Master is also hatching a plan. A conference is due to take place between the period's most promising inventors. The Master plans to prevent this which would mean that the Industrial Revolution would not take place.
The Doctor, with the help of Lord Ravensworth, manages to put a stop to the Rani and the Master's plans, and tampers with the Rani's TARDIS. When the Master and the Rani escape together they find that that they are trapped in a TARDIS that is travelling too fast, out of control, and with a rapidly developing Tyrannosaurus embryo. At the same time Peri manages to mix up a brew of local herbs that will return sleep to the locals.
- Peri Brown: Nicola Bryant
- The Master: Anthony Ainley
- The Rani: Kate O'Mara
- Lord Ravensworth: Terence Alexander
- Jack Ward: Peter Childs
- Luke Ward: Gary Lady
- Tim Bass: William Ilkley
- Guard: Richard Steele
- Edwin Green: Hus Levant (1)
- Sam Rudge: Kevin White (1)
- Drayman: Martyn Whitby
- Young Woman: Sarah James (1)
- Older Woman: Cordelia Ditton (1)
- George Stephenson: Gawn Grainger (2)
- Tom: Alan Talbot (1)
- Josh: Nigel Johnson (1)
- Agressors/Miners: Toby Byrne, Ian Durrant, Ernie Goodyear, Derek Holt, Nick Joseph, Leon Laurence, Raymond Martin, Don Parry
- Walk Ons: Clive Cartwright, Neville Clarke, Terence Coton, Gordon Coulson, Tony Dell, Zophanie Vasquez Howard, Dave Lee Jay, Barry Jones, Ian McFarlane, Dave Mitty, Terry Pearson, John Poyner, Gordon Young
Showings on the BBC
|BBC 1||631||Part One||Saturday, February 2, 1985||5:20 PM - 6:05 PM||6.8M||64%|
|BBC 1||632||Part Two||Saturday, February 9, 1985||5:20 PM - 6:05 PM||7.3M||64%|
- Blists Hill Open Air museum, Ironbridge Gorge, Shropshire
- Coalport China Works, Coalport, Telford, Shropshire
- Granville Collery spoil heaps, Lodge Road, Donnington Wood, Donnington, Telford, Shropshire
- Queen Elizabeth Woods, nr. Harefield Hospital, Hants
- Televison Centre Studio 1
- Episode 1: The Rani leaves the bath house to find the Master and Peri sneaks in to rescue the Doctor. Note that she takes special care to bolt the door on the inside after she enters. But when the Rani and the Master return they just walk in.
- The incidental music for this story was originally going to be by a freelance composer called John Lewis, but sadly he died before starting work.
- Enter The Rani