4.6. Doctor Who - The Doctor's Daughter
The TARDIS is out of control, but the Doctor's hand in a jar seems quite excited. Soon the TARDIS materialises in an underground tunnel. After leaving the TARDIS the Doctor, Donna and Martha are met by soldiers. After their hands have been checked for cleanliness the Doctor's arm is forced into a device that takes a tissue sample and extrapolates it. From a progenation machine a girl emerges in a soldier's outfit, and immediately is given a gun; a gun she instinctively knows how to use. She greets the Doctor as 'Dad'.
She is a generation 5000 soldier grown by the machine from the Doctor's tissue sample. Fish like soldiers - the Hath - start to attack and a bomb is exploded to stop their advance through the tunnel, sealing off the tunnel. The Doctor and Donna are safe, but Martha is trapped on the other side.
Martha immediately attends one of the injured Hath attackers. After resetting a dislocated shoulder Martha convinces the Hath she is a friend.
The Doctor and Donna are taken to the General. On the way Donna asks the Doctor's daughter what her name is; although she knows about weapons she does not have a name until Donna comes up with one. As she was generated - Jenny.
The Doctor learns they are on the planet Messaline. In a theatre more soldiers are being generated. The Doctor wants to leave to find Martha but is told all travel is regulated. Instead the Doctor is shown around the human colony. The war between the Hath and the Humans has been going for as long as anyone can remember.
In the Hath colony Martha is shown a map, the same map the Doctor is shown in the Human colony. The Humans are looking for the Source. It is said whoever holds the source controls the destiny of the planet.
Using the sonic screwdriver the Doctor reveals more information in the map, including more tunnels and rooms. This also appears on the Hath map. This shows the way to a temple where the source is likely to be located. The humans are closer than the Hath to the source, and with it the humans could eradicate all Hath. Talking of genocide does not go down well with the Doctor, and he and Donna, along with Jenny, are arrested.
The Doctor gives Donna's mobile an upgrade and calls Martha. She tells the Doctor about the Hath marching to a war. The humans and the Hath are set to meet, and there would be a bloodbath. The Doctor does not want Jenny to come along as she is a soldier, and Donna convinces the Doctor by making him listen to her heart: both of them. The Doctor thinks of Jenny as an echo, not as a proper Time Lord.
Martha sees a shortcut by going over the surface. There is radiation, but the air is breathable. A nervous Hath goes with her.
In their cell Jenny manages to trick a guard and takes his weapon, setting herself, the Doctor and Donna free. The Doctor uses a toy wind-up mouse to distract a second guard, and Jenny knocks him out.
Martha opens a hatch to the outside. There are huge howling winds, and temperature is cold at night under three moons. Martha and Hath start to make their way across the surface. She fall into a bog, and the Hath she is with jumps in to save her, but is unable to get out.
The Doctor, Donna and Jenny find themselves in a corridor that is criss-crossed with lasers that are deadly to the touch. Jenny starts to fire at the soldiers to give the Doctor time to deactivate the lasers. The Doctor and Donna make it through, but Jenny is trapped when the lasers reactive. Jenny shows her gymnastic skills and back flips over the beams.
Martha reaches the temple on the surface as the Doctor, Donna and Jenny reach it from the underground. Instead of a temple they are inside a spaceship, possibly the original spaceship of the original colonists. Whilst the Doctor and Jenny read the ship's log, Donna has been noticing numbers over all the doors. In the spaceship she realises all the numbers relate to the date using the new Byzantine calendar. Between them they realise that that the war has been going for only a week.
Further on in the ship they meet up with Martha. They can smell flowers, and follow the scent to a terraforming room. The Source everyone is looking for is a terraforming machine, and it in sleep state has terraformed the room. The human soldiers and Hath enter different side of the room, with the Doctor in the middle. The Doctor smashes the Source, and the power within escapes, and will eventually escape to terraform the planet.
All the soldiers, on both sides, are awed and lower their weapons. General Cobb fires at the Doctor, but Jenny stands in the way and is shot instead. Jenny is not a proper Time Lord, and cannot regenerate. Jenny was the reason the TARDIS arrived on Messaline, just a little bit early, creating Jenny - an an endless paradox.
The Doctor returns Martha to Earth. Back on Messaline preparations are being made for Jenny's funeral, when terraforming gas revives her. She takes a shuttle from the terraforming ship and heads into the Universe.
- Donna Noble: Catherine Tate
- Martha Jones: Freema Agyeman
- Jenny: Georgia Moffett
- Cobb: Nigel Terry
- Cline: Joe Dempsie
- Hath Peck: Paul Kasey
- Hath Gable: Rauri Mears
- Carter: Akin Gazi
- Soldier: Olalekan Lawal Jr.
- Cash: Ben Ashley
- Stunt Double for Jenny: Belinda McGinley
- Stunt Double for Hath: Gordon Seed
- Hath: Sean Saye, Joe White, Ken Hosking, Oliver Hopkins, Pete Symonds, Richard Tunesi, Jon Davey
- New Hath: Adam Sweet
- Corridor Guard: David Ullet
- Soldiers: Charlotte Browning, Michelle Roche, Claire Cripps, Barbara Fadden, Emma Rogers, Gemma Brittle, Amie Blake, Juliet Michellat, Duane McGuire, Oliver Cullen, Andy Jones, Michael Den, Keith Wheeler, Matthew Lias, Grant Lock, John Childs, Tosin Aikomo, Winston Pyke, David Ullet, Ian Wilkinson, Peter Drewfall, Stephen Barratt, Dan Gough, Dino Gamecho, Robert Price, Sam Williams, Jenna Holbrook, John Smith, Owen Prentice, Chester Durrant, Lwabena Amponsa, Sarah Vaughton
- Soldiers (New/Clean): Rhiannon Ward, Sukii Raii, Benjamin McClean, Richard Price, Leigh Foster
- Double for Hath Peck: Rauri Mears
- Stunt Double for Martha: Amanda Foster
- Stunt Double for Hath Peck: Paul Kennington
- Additional Dialogue Recording Crowd: Matthew Jones, Debbie Nash, Sophie Olley, Paul Sparrowham, Daryl Adcock, Neil Gray, Claire Hilder, Jane S.R. Kyte-Hunt, Stephen Bracken-Keogh, Holly Cracknell, Nicholas Wilkes, Nicole Casey
Showings on the BBC
|BBC 1||6||The Doctor's Daughter||10 May 2008||18:45 - 19:30||7.3M||88|
- Aberbaiden Open Cast Colliery, Fford Y Gyfraith, Cefn Cribwr, Nr Kenfig
- Barry Shooting Range, Beaksea Drive, Barry Island
- Dupont Building, Mamhilad Park Industrial, Old Abergevenney Road, Pontypool
- Johnsey Estates, Mamhilad Park Industrial Estate South, Pontypool
- Marble Room, City Hall, Cathays Park, Cardiff
- Mark Street, Cardiff
- Newbridge Memorial Hall, Celynen Colliers Inst & Memorial Hall, High Street, Newbridge
- Plantasia, Parc Tawe, Swansea
- Rhondda Hertiage Park, Lewis Merthyr Colliery, Trehafod, Nr Pontypridd
- Roath Conservatory, Lake Road, Cardiff
- Upper Boat Studios, Treforrest