5.11. Doctor Who - The Lodger
The TARDIS materialises on Earth, but after the Doctor opens the door a jolt pushes him out, and the TARDIS de-materialises with Amy inside.
At 79 Aickman Road a man passing by the house is called in by another man saying something terrible has happened.
In the flat underneath - 79A - Craig is talking to his work colleague Sophie about getting a lodger. Craig hears the doorbell, and it is the Doctor asking about being the new lodger.
The Doctor is not used to living on Earth - it's a long time since he has done so. Although he thinks he is behaving normally Craig thinks his behaviour is strange. The Doctor makes his way in to the kitchen and notices what appears to be dry rot in the ceiling, something Sophie had noticed earlier.
Craig shows the Doctor to his room. (The room used to belong to the owner - Mark. Very conveniently Mark got left some money in a will and left.) The Doctor uses his psychic paper to show Craig references, and takes the room. The Doctor raids Craig's fridge and makes a wonderful meal.
In his room the Doctor has an earpiece that communicates with Amy in the TARDIS, and whilst he is talking to Amy Craig talks to Sophie and tell her about the new lodger. Outside, a woman walking past is called into flat 79B by a voice saying they need her help.
Whatever is in flat 79B is preventing the TARDIS from materialising, and anything that can stop the TARDIS materialising scary big. Whilst the Doctor is talking to Amy odd things start happening (clocks start spinning, and the is crashing and screaming from the upstairs flat).
The following morning, with the Doctor in the shower, Craig hears more crashing and goes upstairs to see if everything is okay. The Doctor, thinking Craig would be in danger, rushes after him (in only a towel). Craig is okay after speaking to an old man, and returns to the flat. As the Doctor is coming down the stairs he meets Craig's work colleague Sophie.
Craig invites the Doctor to play on their football team as they are a man down. The Doctor proves to be quite good at football, and Sophie seems to like it. Which makes Craig feel a little left out, especially when the crowd starts cheering the Doctor. As the team are discussing the next there is a stitch in time, and the same second keeps repeating itself. At the same time the TARDIS is still having problems materialising.
Craig and Sophie are enjoying a night in when the Doctor interrupts. The Doctor starts talking to Craig and Sophie about what they do, and where they are going. Sophie wants to work away with animals, but Craig is happy to stay where he is.
In his room the Doctor has created a scanner to check what is happening upstairs, but cannot detect any technology. In the kitchen the dry rot appears to be getting worse. Craig reaches out to touch it, and the next day the Doctor finds him still in bed, suffering from some kind of infection. Craig insists he has to go to work, even though he is too ill to do so.
When Craig waits later in the afternoon he realises he has missed a planning meeting, only to find the Doctor has stood in for him. Craig is sent home, ill, and looks into the Doctor's room and sees the scanner he has been building. When the Doctor returns Craig confronts him, and finds him talking to a cat (about people going upstairs and not returning). Craig snaps, and says that everyone finds the Doctor wonderful, and that he wants him out of the house. The Doctor insists he can't leave, and to explain why the Doctor head-buts Craig, transferring details of the Doctor and his past lives through to Craig, and also details of what the Doctor is doing with the scanner.
Later on, when Sophie visits, she is called to the upstairs flat by a little girl asking for help. Downstairs the Doctor and Craig here crashing. The Doctor goes to investigate and notices Sophie's keys in the lock. The Doctor and Craig rush upstairs, but Amy tells them there is no upstairs. She has had a look at the plans and the house is only a single storey.
The upstairs flat, disguised by a perception filter, is in reality a spaceship (a form of TARDIS). The hologram in control has been luring people upstairs trying to find a new pilot. The latest candidate is Sophie. When the hologram sees the Doctor it declares the correct pilot has been found. Energy starts to draw the Doctor in, and he resists as much as possible.
The hologram has been looking for people who want to leave. The Doctor convinces Craig, as someone who wants to stay, to put his hand on the control, and concentrate on why he wants to stay. Craig declares his love for Sophie, and this causes the energy beam to shut off. Sophie, Craig and the Doctor get out of the house as the perception filter collapses and the ship disappears. The rot in the kitchen disappears as well.
- Amy Pond: Karen Gillan
- Craig: James Corden
- Sophie: Daisy Haggard
- Steven: Owen Donovan
- Sean: Babatunde Aleshe
- Michael: Jem Wall
- Sandra: Karen Seacombe
- Clubber: Kamara Bacchus
- Voice of Avatar Man: Michael Burrell
- Avatar Man: Darrell Heath
- Voice of Avatar Young Man: Ben Peyton
- Avatar Young Man: Andy Jones
- Voice of Night Club Girl: Ayesha Antoine
- Stunt Double for the Doctor: Gordon Seed
- Doctor's Team Goalkeeper (David): Jon Davey
- Doctor's Team (Custard, Ben, Dan, John H): Christopher Miller, Phill Williams, Yinka Onitiri, Craig Palmer
- Opposing Team's Goalkeeper: Charlie Pothercary
- Opposing Team (Rio, Mark, Sol, Gary, Ryan, Thierry, Gary: Ollie Shephard, David Stephen Jenkins, Darren Clarke, George Nicol Dunn, Oskar Gustafson, Jason Ward, David Stock
- Referee: Peter Davidson
- Spectators: Melanie Allen, Bernard Batt, Ollie Bryan, Cheryl Jenkins, Marsha McLeod, Earl Palmer, Tennis Russell, Steve Thomas, Kodjo Tsakpo, Elles Williams
- Voice of Avatar Little Girl: Lydia Fewell
- Avatar Little Girl: Ellie Cursio
- Call Centre Workers: Melanie Allen, Jon Davey, Marsha McLeod, Azhar Miad, Christopher Miller, Yinka Onitiri, Jason Weeks, Elles Williams
- Passers by: David Stephens, Anne Lyken Garner, Jason Shephard
- Crowd / Additional Dialogue Recording: Stephen Bracken-Keogh, Nicholas Wilkes, Darryl Adcock, Paul Ganney, Paul Sparrowham, John Rayment, Ben Cooke, Steve Brayham, Paula Keogh, Averley Burton, Wendy Sheard, Nicole Clarke, Janet Howson, Emma Feeny
Showings on the BBC
|BBC 1||11||The Lodger||Saturday, June 12, 2010||6:45 PM - 7:30 PM||6.44M||87|
|BBC HD||11||The Lodger||Saturday, June 12, 2010||6:45 PM - 7:30 PM|
- Lanelay Hall, Pontyclun, Llantrisant
- Victoria Park, Canton, Cardiff
- Westville Road, Penylan, Cardiff
- Upper Boat Studios: Studio 1 & 2
- Upper Boat Studios: Studio 5
- Upper Boat Studios: Studio 6